I am helping Kary start a small blog to keep his friends and family informed of his progress. Please keep checking here for the latest news. I know he appreciates and needs your prayers and support more than ever. He is looking at some new options and will be writing about these as soon as he is able. So keep checking in and we will try to keep this up to date!!!



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Returning to CTCA for Tomo Radiation

In early November 2009, after a nearly 9 month break from chemotherapy and almost 17 months from the date of my original diagnosis, we discovered during a routine checkup at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Tulsa, Oklahoma that my blood tumor marker (CA 19-9) was beginning to rise once again above a normal level. Over the past few months the tumor marker has risen from 50 to over 2584. I have not been able to proceed with any chemotherapy treatments due to exceptionally low platelet & white blood cell counts, which have not recovered from the extensive treatment I previously received at CTCA.

A PET scan in mid December identified an active area in the pancreas at the original tumor site. I spent the next few months pursuing multiple naturopathic remedies in an effort to improve my blood counts, so that I could proceed with traditional treatments. However, the blood counts have remained low and the only treatment option available was a second round of tomo radiation, which is scheduled to begin on May 5, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment